Cornbread muffins meet bacon, cheese, and apples to make for a perfectly portable and satisfying breakfast or snack.
- 2 USA Gala Apples, cored and diced
- 2 tbsp (30ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1-1/4 cups (300ml) cornmeal
- 1-1/4 cups (300ml) flour
- 4 tsp (20ml) baking powder
- 1 cup (250ml) crumbled aged cheddar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) crisp cooked and chopped bacon
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (75ml) melted butter
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
- Heat apples, lemon juice, 2 tbsp (30ml) maple syrup, and salt in a large skillet over medium high heat; cook for 3-4 minutes until apples have softened. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Whisk together remaining 2 tbsp (30ml) maple syrup, milk, melted butter and eggs in a medium bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour and baking powder; add cheddar, bacon, jalapeño and liquid mixture. Stir until just combined; stir in apples.
- Grease a muffin pan and divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until tops are light golden.