Experience the savoury blend of apples and bacon in this shared loaf. Perfect for group settings, it pairs wonderfully with various sweet dips, making it a hearty appetizer.
- 2/3 cup (225ml) chopped bacon, cooked until crisp
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups (375ml) USA Granny Smith Apples, diced
- 1 cup (250ml) diced celery
- 1 cup (250ml) diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10ml) dried savoury
- 2 tsp (10ml) chopped fresh rosemary (or 1-1/2 tsp of dried)
- 1 tsp (5ml) chopped fresh sage (or ½ tsp of dried)
- 1 low-sodium chicken bouillon cube
- 600g pizza dough
- Additional oil to prepare loaf pan and for rolling out dough
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil and line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples, celery, onion, garlic, savoury, rosemary, and sage. Crumble in bouillon cube and stir until combined. Cook until apples and onions have softened. Spread mixture onto a large plate to cool.
- Spread a little oil onto a work surface. Oil pizza dough lightly and press or roll out dough to form an 11- x 18-inch rectangle. Spread cooled apple filling evenly over dough to the edges.
- Cut rectangle into 18 equal squares. Stack 3 squares together and place standing on edge in the loaf pan. Repeat with remaining squares to fill loaf pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until top is golden brown and middle is no longer doughy or a thermometer inserted into middle of loaf registers 190°F.
- Let sit 5 minutes before serving.