Apples, brie and French toast, oh my! Put day-old bread to work along with your favourite apple variety to create this delicious brunch trifecta that will win everyone over.
- 1 small U.S. Gala apple*, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) allspice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, divided
- 8 slices day-old French loaf
- 12 (2 1/2-inch/6 cm long) slices Brie cheese,
- about 160 g Maple syrup, thyme and black pepper to garnish.
- In a medium bowl, add sliced apple, Dijon, thyme, salt and pepper. Toss together and set aside. In a large shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and allspice.
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium low heat. Dip 2 slices of bread in egg mixture and place in skillet; top each slice with 1/4 portion of apple mix and 3 slices Brie cheese. Place another dipped slice of bread on top of Brie cheese.
- Cover and let cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Flip French toast, cover and cook the other side until golden brown and Brie has melted. Repeat steps with remaining bread and filling.
- Serve drizzled with maple syrup, and garnished with thyme and black pepper.
Tip: Try adding black forest ham or smoked turkey for an optional flavour boost