- 4 cups (1 L) thinly-sliced, peeled U.S. Granny Smith apples (about 4 large apples)
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cornstarch
- ½ cup (125 mL) milk
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- Whipped cream or ice cream to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease an 8-inch (20 cm) baking dish. Place apples in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir sugar with cinnamon; measure out 2 tbsp (30 mL) and set aside for later. Stir cornstarch into remaining cinnamon sugar and toss with apples until coated. Spread apples evenly in baking dish.
- In a glass measure, whisk milk, melted butter and egg together. Sift flour with baking powder and salt into a medium bowl; mix to combine. Make a well in dry ingredients; add liquid mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Pour batter over apples and smooth top; sprinkle evenly with reserved cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream (if desired).
Replace Granny Smith with U.S. Gala apples.