Apple Fruit Leather
4 U.S. Gala or Cripps Pink apples*, cored and chopped (about 2 lb/1 kg)
½ cup (125 mL) apple jelly
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp (15 mL) coconut oil
1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
Roll up your kids’ sleeves and have some fruitful fun with this five-ingredient recipe. These tasty fruit leather rolls are ideal healthier snacks to have on hand, though they may not last long, so make extra!
- Blend apples in a high powered blender until puréed.
- Scrape into a large deep skillet and add apple jelly, lemon juice, coconut oil, and cinnamon. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat stirring frequently.
- Divide apple mix evenly between 2 parchment or silicone lined 18 x 13 inch (45 x 32 cm) baking sheets. Spread as evenly as possible then tap the tray firmly over work surface to even mixture out further.
- Bake at 175°F (80°C) for 6 hours or until mixture feels dry and leathery.
- Let cool before cutting into strips or pieces.
Tip: Use the convection setting on your oven at 160°F (70°C) to reduce the baking time to 2 ½ to 3 hrs.
* Other varieties such as MacIntosh, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Empire, Jonagold, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Braeburn, McIntosh and Red Rome will work equally well.
PER SERVING (1/16th recipe or 1 strip): 60 calories, 1 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 0 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrates, 1 g fibre, 12 g sugars, 0.2 g protein. %DV: 0% calcium, 0% iron, 0% vitamin A, 0% vitamin C.