This dessert marries the comforting flavours of baked California-grown apples with the refreshing tartness of California strawberry sorbet. This rustic-yet-elegant galette features thinly sliced apples that are gently spiced, then nestled within a buttery, flaky puff pastry. The contrast between the warm apples and the icy, fruity strawberry sorbet creates a delightful sensory experience. The tartness of the sorbet harmonizes beautifully with the apple’s sweetness.
RECIPE CREATED BY Abhishek Dekate@abhishekdekate
Abhishek Dekate is a Toronto-based content creator and stylist. His creative passion revolves around the realms of home aesthetics, interior design, gastronomy, and the art of entertaining. With an eye for beauty and an innate talent for curating captivating visuals, Abhishek brings a unique blend of creativity and style to every project he undertakes.
- 2 California-grown Granny Smith and/or Gala apples, washed, dried and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (60mL) sugar
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1 tbsp (15mL) cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (15mL) cornstarch
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 kg. (2.2 lbs) California strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60mL) cold water
- Garnish: sliced California strawberry
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Strain the strawberry purée mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds and lumps.
- Transfer into an airtight container or a loaf pan and cover tightly with plastic cling wrap. Freeze for 4 hours.
- Take the sorbet out of the freezer and whisk it to a slushy consistency. Cover and return to the freezer and leave to fully set, about 4 more hours.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C / 425°F . Leave the puff pastry out to thaw.
- In a bowl, combine the sliced California-grown Granny Smith and/or Gala apples, sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon, cornstarch, and a sprinkle of salt. Use a spoon or your hands to mix well.
- Place the apple mixture in the center of the puff pastry sheet, leaving a 2-3 cm/2-inch border. Carefully, fold the edges towards the center and over each other.
- Brush the edges with the beaten egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve with strawberry sorbet.