This cocktail bursts with a refreshing blend of apples balanced with ginger and thyme.
Apple, Ginger and Thyme Shrub
- 2 USA Gala Apples, cored and chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15ml) fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2-inch piece peeled ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2ml) allspice
- 4 juniper berries
- Garnish: thin sliced USA Gala Apples and fresh thyme sprigs
- Place apples, vinegar, maple syrup, thyme, ginger, allspice, and juniper berries in a blender and blend until apples are puréed.
- Pour mixture into a large jar with a tight fitting lid. Let steep refrigerated for 1-7 days stirring mixture once a day.
- Strain mixture through a fine sieve, discarding solids. Syrup will keep refrigerated in a jar with a tight fitting lid for up to 2 weeks.
- To serve, fill a glass with ice and pour 2 tbsp (30ml) syrup onto ice; top with 6 oz (175ml) sparkling water or Prosecco and stir. Garnish with apple slices and thyme sprigs.