Mulligatawny soup traces its origins back to the southern part of India. Presenting unique flavours, it is both sweet and spicy. This Algol Indian soup can be served with rice, meat, or heavy cream. The combination of lentils, spices, and California-grown Gala apples makes this a delicious dish that can be enjoyed by all.
RECIPE CREATED BY Shweta Singh@myfoodspree
Shweta is a mom, food blogger, content creator, photographer and tea lover. She focuses on vegetarian recipes that are easy to make, fresh, wholesome, and delicious.
- 2 California-grown Gala apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup (250mL) onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup (250mL) finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125mL) carrot, chopped
- 1 cup (250mL) acorn squash (you can use butternut or zucchini instead)
- 1/4 cup (60mL) jalapeño, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60mL) red lentils, washed
- 1 cup (250mL) chickpeas, either canned or soaked overnight and boiled
- 1/4 cup (60mL) chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup (60mL) chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp (15mL) ginger paste
- 1 tbsp (15mL) garlic paste
- 1 cup (250mL) coconut milk
- 3 cups (650mL) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (60mL) unsalted butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp (5mL) turmeric
- 1 tbsp (15mL) curry powder
- 1 tbsp (15mL) garam masala
- 1 tbsp (15mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5mL) crushed peppercorn
- 1 tsp (5mL) chilli flakes
- Salt to taste
- Cashews, chopped cilantro and scallions for garnishing.
- Heat butter in heavy bottom pot. Add bay leaf, onion, ginger, jalapeño and scallions. Cook on low to medium heat until onions turn translucent.
- Add squash, tomatoes, carrot, chickpeas, red lentils, curry powder, garam masala powder, oregano, turmeric, and salt. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add California-grown Gala apples and vegetable broth. Cover and cook on low to medium heat for 12-15 minutes, until lentils and vegetables are cooked. Note: Do not stir as it delays the cooking time of the lentils.
- Once cooked, add coconut milk, cilantro, peppercorns, and chilli flakes. Mix and blend for 12-15 seconds for chunky consistency. If you want it smooth, blend for a few more seconds.
- Garnish with cashews, cilantro, and scallions. Serve with rice or bread of your choice.