Merge the allure of coffee and caramel in these delightful tarts. Ready in 20 minutes, they’re a sweet addition to your breakfast or dessert menu.
- 1 tsp (5ml) instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5ml) hot water
- 1/4 cup (60ml) dulce de leche or thick caramel spread
- 4 small USA Gala Apples, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds, seeds removed after slicing
- 2 sheets pre-rolled 10- x 10-inch puff pastry, each sheet cut into 9 squares
- 1/2 cup (120ml) whipping cream
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir coffee granules, cinnamon and hot water together until coffee granules dissolve. Stir in dulce de leche. Using a teaspoon, space 9 small dollops of coffee mixture (about ½ teaspoon per dollop) evenly apart on 1 of the parchment-lined baking sheets. Repeat with second baking sheet. Reserve leftover coffee mixture.
- Place 1 sliced apple round on top of each dollop of coffee mixture and top each apple round with 1 square of puff pastry.
- Bake tarts for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Let tarts cool for 2 minutes before using a spatula to invert and transfer tarts to a cooling rack.
- In a large bowl, combine cream and reserved coffee mixture; whip into soft peaks.
- Dust tarts with icing sugar and serve with whipped coffee cream.