California-grown Granny Smiths are Jennifer’s fav apple for baking. They have a perfect *green apple* flavour, balanced tartness to counter the sweetness of a pie, and they hold their shape better than other varieties during long stints in the oven. This lush Chai-Spiced Apple Pie is piled high with sliced Granny Smith apples from California and layered with fragrant cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves. The warm, cozy spices smell so good you’ll want to have one baking all autumn long.
Chai-Spiced Apple Pie
RECIPE CREATED BY Foodess@foodess
Jennifer is a registered dietitian with a science degree in food and nutrition. She loves to share the science of no-fail cooking and baking, as well as tested-till-perfect vibrant, cozy recipes.
- 3 lbs Granny Smith apples (about 10), peeled, cored and sliced about ¼-inch thick
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
- Dough for double-crust pie
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp water
- 1 tbsp coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat a baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven at 500°F for 30 minutes.
- Toss apples with sugar, flour, lemon juice, spices and salt.
- Make pie crust bottom by rolling out half the pie dough into a 12” circle. Gently drape the dough into a 9” pie plate. Transfer apples into the bottom pie crust. Roll out the remaining dough and lay it on top of the apples. Seal and crimp the edges.
- Brush the top crust with beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired. Use a sharp knife to slice a few small incisions for steam vents in the top of the pie. Transfer pie to freezer until firm.
- Reduce oven temperature to 425°F and bake the pie on top of the preheated baking sheet for 25 minutes. Reduce temperature again to 350°F and bake for 30-40 minutes more, until the filling is bubbling in the center vents.
*Cover the pie with aluminum foil or parchment paper if at any point during baking the crust is getting too dark.