A breakfast recipe that’s not only super simple to make, but brings the coziness we all need sometimes. This fluffy Dutch baby pancake is made with fragrant California-grown Gala and Granny Smith apples, spiced with cinnamon and maple, and topped with crunchy almonds. I love topping it with Greek or Skyr yogurt and a generous drizzle of maple syrup.
RECIPE CREATED BY Diala Canelo@dialaskitchen
Diala Canelo is a cookbook author, recipe creator and food photographer and stylist based in Toronto. Diala grew up in Dominican Republic and in her teens moved to Montreal to attend university. She has also lived in Mexico City, where she obtained a Grand Diplome at Le Cordon Bleu for pastry and bread making.
For the apples:
- 1 tbsp (15mL) butter
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.25mL) cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (15mL) maple syrup
- 1 Gala and/or Granny Smith apples, sliced
For the Dutch baby pancake:
- 1/2 cup (125mL) whole wheat flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22.5 mL) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5mL) kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (180mL) milk, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp (5mL) pure vanilla extract or almond extract
- 3 tbsp (45mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp (30mL) toasted almonds
- Greek or Skyr yogurt
- Set a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the butter and maple syrup.
- Once bubbling, add the apples and cinnamon. Reduce to medium heat, and cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring often. They should be cooked until fork tender. Put aside and keep warm until after the pancake is cooked.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C), with a medium cast-iron skillet on the center rack.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Purée eggs in a blender until pale and frothy, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour mixture, milk, and vanilla or almond extract to the puréed eggs in the blender.
- Purée until smooth, about 30 seconds (the batter will be thin).
- Add butter to skillet in oven. When it melts and sizzles, pull out the rack and quickly pour the batter into center of skillet.
- Bake until pancake is puffed, golden brown in places, and crisp along the edges, about 18 to 22 minutes.
- Pull from the oven and top with cooked apples, almonds, Greek yogurt and maple syrup.