- ½ cup (125 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (2 mL) sea salt (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, divided
- 2 large U.S. Gala apples
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 package (400 g) refrigerated pre-rolled pie pastry
- 1 egg
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan set over medium heat. Add brown sugar and cream; cook whisking constantly until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Boil without stirring for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and sea salt (if using). Cool to room temperature. (Caramel sauce can be made ahead and reserved in a sealed glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Warm gently to loosen before using.)
- Meanwhile, core and quarter apples; slice thinly (leaving skin on or peeling if preferred). Melt butter in a skillet set over medium heat. Add apples and sauté for 5 minutes or until just tender. Spread on a plate to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Unroll pastry on a lightly floured work surface. Cut three 5-inch (12 cm) circles or squares out of each pie round; place on a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Decoratively arrange an equal portion of apple slices on each round, leaving a 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) border. Fold and lightly crimp edges in, over apple, but leaving centre exposed. Carefully drizzle 1 tsp (5 mL) caramel over apples. Whisk egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; brush egg wash over pastry.
- Bake, on lowest rack, for 22 minutes or until pastry is golden. Meanwhile, gently warm leftover caramel sauce over low heat to drizzle over galettes before serving.
Replace the premade crusts with your favourite homemade pastry, use enough for a double crust pie and roll out to 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick.
Pass leftover dough scraps to your kids to have fun rolling and shaping while you are making the galettes; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake alongside the galettes until golden.
Leftover caramel sauce makes a yummy dip for apple slices.