Here’s a blooming’ deliciously easy and impressive idea – mini apple pies on sticks. Perfect for kids and adults, these tasty treats are great for outdoor and indoor occasions.
- 2 U.S. Granny Smith or Fuji* apples, peeled and diced (about 3 cups/750 mL)
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tsp (10 mL) white miso paste
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (30 mL) water
- 2 tsp (10 mL) corn starch
- 1 pkg (400 g) store-bought pie crust pastry
- 1 egg, whisked
- 14-16 candy or popsicle sticks
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over high heat; add apples, maple syrup, miso paste and cinnamon. Cook stirring frequently for 3 to 5 minutes until apples are tender and juices have cooked down. In a small bowl stir together water and cornstarch; pour into apple mix while stirring. Cook stirring until liquid is clear and thickened; about 1 minute. Spread filling onto a plate to cool.
- Cut pie pastry with a 3-inch (8 cm) round cookie cutter into 28 to 32 pieces (14 to 16 of each tops and bottoms), re-rolling scraps as needed. Cut small shapes or slits into pastry tops if desired.
- To assemble pops: place a bottom pastry round on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush lightly with egg wash. Gently press a candy stick halfway into diameter of round. Drop approximately 1 tbsp (15 mL) of apple filling into the centre and press a pastry top along the edge to seal in filling and candy stick. Brush top with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Repeat steps to make remaining pie pops.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F (200°C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
* Other varieties such as Gala, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Empire, Jonagold, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Braeburn will work equally well.