These crunchy, savoury puff pastry bites made with Granny Smith apples, gorgonzola and hazelnuts mix classic flavours for a crowd-pleasing appetizer or snack.
Puff Pastry Bites
RECIPE CREATED BY Jaclyn@holistic.foodie
As a Toronto-based holistic nutritionist and founder of a food and lifestyle blog, Jaclyn helps women develop healthier relationships with food and provides delicious recipes and wellness tips.
- 2 USA Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup melted butter (divided)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, removed from stem
- 4 ounces or ½ cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry, defrosted
- Cooking oil spray
- ⅓ cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsps honey
- ½ tsp Aleppo pepper (or chili flakes)
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ or 180 °C
- Prepare a muffin tin by spraying with cooking oil.
- Place the chopped apples into a large bowl and pour in 1 tbsp of the butter along with the thyme and gorgonzola. Mix well to combine.
- Use a knife to cut the phyllo into large squares that will fit your muffin tin.
- Layer three sheets of phyllo together, brushing butter between each layer so they hold together. Place each three-layered square over the muffin tin and press down gently.
- Divide the apple mixture into the phyllo pastry.
- Top each pastry square with chopped hazelnuts. Transfer to the oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes, until crispy and lightly browned around the edges.
- Let cool for a few minutes in the pan and then carefully remove and place on a wire rack.
- Drizzle with honey and Aleppo pepper and serve immediately. Enjoy!